Edinburgh House is the Sephardi Community Home for the elderly and was officially opened in November 1977 by its Patron, HRH the Duke of Edinburgh. It is situated in Wembley, a pleasant suburb of North West London and is conveniently located within walking distance of Wembley Park undergroundas well as several bus routes nearby; there is also an onsite car park.
The principal objective of the Edinburgh House is to provide accommodation and care for the elderly, both Sephardi and Ashkenazi, with facilities for religious observance. Strict Kashrut is observed at all times. The Sabbath is observed and regular services are held. Passover is celebrated with communal Sedarim, a Succah is built for the festival of Succoth, special services are held on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur and there are celebrations during Chanukah and Purim. Great emphasis is placed on the continued contact between residents and their family and friends. Also of great importance is the role of volunteers and staff who, throughout the year arrange entertainment, frequent musical performances and BBQs for the residents. Regular outings are arranged in the Home’s own minibus; these include visits to Buckingham Palace, theatres, shopping centres, the Zoo, Kew Gardens, etc. An annual holiday is also arranged for the majority of the residents.
Edinburgh House is a purpose built care home accommodating 51 residents in a warm and pleasant environment. It is on three floors and served by automatic lifts. Each bedroom has its own washing facilities and is comfortably furnished. All bedrooms are single with individual telephone and tea making facilities arranged on request. Although a number of bedrooms are fitted with en-suites there are bathing and toilet facilities provided on each floor. The Home’s doctor visits regularly, dental treatment, physiotherapy, chiropody, optician and beautician services are also available.
The Home is a registered Charity (originally founded in 1747) and is registered by The Commission for Social Care Inspection. In 2008 the CSCI awarded the Home an outstanding ‘3 star’ rating meaning that the residents are provided with an excellent quality of care which is ‘due to the hard work of the Head of the Home, Christine Gibson, and her staff’.
A £1.5 million redevelopment programme updating our facilities has just begun. The ground floor will be completely renovated. All units (including Dementia and High Dependency) will now have their own dining room and lounge on the ground floor. Next year the kitchen will be completely refurbished and new enlarged laundry facilities will be provided.
In the same complex Harris Court, which was opened in 1993, provides sheltered accommodation. There are sixteen flats, three double bedroom and thirteen single bedroom units. All come with a fitted kitchen, bathroom and lounge/dining room. They also have a large laundry room, a communal lounge and a beautiful well-kept garden where residents can meet and socialise. Thanks to its warden, Tracy Simonds, who has created a friendly, homely atmosphere, residents have complete independence with the added advantage of being connected to Edinburgh House. An alarm button located in the lounge and bedrooms and an alarm pendant which can be worn around their necks can be used in an emergency and this will raise the alarm at Edinburgh House. Every Monday dial-a-ride takes the residents to the local supermarket to purchase their shopping. Meals on wheels are provided if required. Twice a year the residents have access to the Edinburgh House minibus which takes them on day trips to Southend-on-Sea and Henley-on-Thames.
For further information on Harris Court please contact the Warden, Tracy Simonds on 020 8908 1440.
To speak to Paula Peake, Head of Home, please call 020 8908 4151.
If you would like to make a donation please contact Vivienne Zubaida on 020 8904 0070.